Navy bean and hominy calzones with real cheese

by - 11:01 AM

calzone bean and hominy-5282

Calzones with real cheese. Vegan cheese is ok, but I prefer real cheese. In addition to the vegan calzones I made some calzones with three or four cheeses.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5229

I got out some things from cans. It’s quick that way.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5227

Picked and cooked what little kale there is from the pathetic crop of kale. I don’t think kale likes temperatures of over 100 degrees.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5208

In a bowl with ricotta I crack an egg with one hand like it’s nothing and I do it all the time. Ok, I don’t know if I’ve actually done this before, ever! I cheered like I’d just won a photo contest when I saw I’d  got a picture of it too.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5209

Then with my oh so fancy “measuring cup” I throw in some mozzarella.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5210

Then I think pepper jack would be good too.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5236

At this point the dough balls look risen enough to roll out.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5231

Roll out to the thickness of a thick wool blanket.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5237

On one half Place a layer of beans leaving some room around the edges.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5238

A layer of cheese filling,

 

calzone bean and hominy-5240

A layer of hominy,

 

calzone bean and hominy-5241

a layer of kale

 

calzone bean and hominy-5242

and olives.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5243

If you didn’t overfill it folding it over will be easy, I kinda had to stretch it to make everything fit. seal edges by pinching together with a fork.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5251

Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds just before baking.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5263

Let cool on a wire rack. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

 

calzone bean and hominy-5281

Serve warm or make ahead.

 

Navy bean and hominy calzones with real cheese

  • about 1/2 lb.  bread dough
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese shredded
  • 8 oz ricotta
  • 1/2 cup navy beans drained
  • 1/2 cup hominy drained
  • 1/4 cup sliced olives
  • 1/4 cup chopped cooked kale
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 egg beaten for brushing tops
  • sesame seeds

 

Tear dough into golf ball sized balls and place on a floured surface. Cover with a damp towel while they rise for about 10 minutes.

In a bowl mix 1 egg, ricotta, mozzarella, cheddar or pepper jack and salt and pepper to taste.

Roll out to circles to about the thickness of a thick wool blanket.

Place a layer of beans, cheese filling, hominy, kale and olives.

Fold dough over the filling and seal using a fork to press the edges. Let rise on baking sheet while oven is heating. brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds just before you place in the oven.

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown

If you don’t eat them all when they’re warm  you can store them individually in small re-sealable plastic bags.


You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting