Lazy Palmiers

by - 8:16 AM

lazy palmier cookies -15177 

I love Palmiers at Christmas time! But making the dough is very time consuming.  In fact last year I just didn’t ever make any.  So I put on my thinking cap and thought I’d try making them with regular pie crust. Sure they might not have as many delicate layers but it was either that or no palmiers.

 

 

lazy palmier cookies -15117

 

Roll out dough between sheets of plastic wrap into a rectangle approximately 1/8 inch thick,

 

lazy palmier cookies -15122

 

Sprinkle with sugar.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15123

 

sprinkle with cinnamon if you like.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15124

 

Carefully roll each long edge toward the center. Use the plastic wrap to help roll tightly.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15126

 

Wrap it up and put in the fridge or pop in the freezer until very firm but not frozen.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15127

 

Then where you’re ready to bake get out the ‘logs’.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15129

 

Slice crosswise into 3/8-inch slices.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15130

 

 

lazy palmier cookies -15135

 

I cut all of them and popped them back in freezer until I was ready.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15148

 

I used my hand instead of a rolling pin to lightly flatten. Then sprinkled the center of each with more sugar.As the oven was heating to 450.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15162

 

Confession time, yes, I did. I got tired of waiting and walked off for a few minutes and this is what I came back to!

 

lazy palmier cookies -15165 

Not being made from proper puff pastry dough hasn’t stopped anyone from eating them so I’m satisfied with my variation.

 

lazy palmier cookies -15186

 

let cool and serve or make ahead and freeze.

 

Lazy Palmiers

adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe that I can’t find.

 

  • 3/4 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
  • Gluten free pie crust or regular home made pie crust or bought pie crust

 

 

Roll out dough between sheets of plastic wrap into a rectangle approximately 1/8 inch thick, continually sprinkling with additional sugar to prevent the dough from sticking. Sprinkle surface with sugar (optional, add cinnamon)

Working quickly but gently, roll each long end to the center of the pastry, use plastic wrap to help roll it up, making sure to roll tightly and evenly. Freeze rolled log for 20 minutes, until very firm but not frozen. Slice crosswise into 3/8-inch slices. Roll over each palmier with a rolling pin to lightly flatten, and sprinkle the center of each with more sugar. Place palmiers 2 inches apart on water-sprayed baking sheets. Freeze for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake palmiers 4 to 6 minutes, until golden on the underside. Flip with a spatula, pressing down to flatten if palmiers seem to be unrolling. Bake 2 to 4 minutes more, watching carefully, until golden and crisp. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Find me on

Facebook Taste spotting